Wednesday, July 13, 2016

What a piece of junk!

Welcome to my Millennium Falcon blog!  I've loved the Falcon since I first laid eyes on her as a child and over the past year and a half or so I've been modeling my ideal Falcon in Maya.  What began as a fun personal project soon evolved into obsession.  The exterior model is complete as I write this.  I'm currently working on modeling a version of the interior (I have some issues with some of the published blueprints) and soon I'd like to learn Substance Designer and Substance Painter as I texture the ship. My ultimate goal is to get everything into VR.  For now I'm only going to tease the final model because showing it would ruin the fun!
Soon I will begin posting build progress and giving information about my thought process and workflow.  First I feel have to give credit to those who truly inspired and fostered this build.  It all started when I found this thread by user Gort on the Replica Prop Forum which contains a detailed list and reference photos of almost all of the model kits used in the 70s on the 5 foot filming miniature.   This led me to Studio Scale Modelers who have tons of flatbed scans of these kit parts.  I searched far and wide for reference on the RPF and found a ton of useful and inspiring threads.  Here are some of my favorites:

This site by Neil K. offers a great and thorough history of the Falcon miniatures and sets

There are countless others that are all a wealth of information and other users who contribute immensely to these forums.  I encourage you all to go down the rabbit hole and get lost in there for a few hours!  I should note that I also found these collections of reference photos by Andre Bustanoby and David Emmerichs invaluable.

I hope you all enjoy my work.  If anyone has any technical questions or general comments feel free to leave 'em.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. I shall look through these pages with great pleasure in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete